Introduced in 1959, the MKII has long been Jaguar's best-loved saloon. Its combination of svelte good looks, strong performance and gentlemen's club interior has successfully charmed every passing generation. Based around a more sophisticated version of its MKI predecessor's monocoque bodyshell equipped with independent coil-and-wishbone front suspension, a Panhard-rod located 'live' rear axle and four-wheel disc brakes, the newcomer was powered by a choice of race-bred 2.4 litre, 3.4 litre and 3.8 litre XK DOHC straight-six engines. Although, slower on paper than their range-topping 3.8 litre siblings, the 3.4 litre cars nonetheless boasted some 210bhp and 216lbft of torque, outputs sufficient to ensure a circa 120mph top speed and spirited acceleration.
According to an accompanying Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust certificate, chassis 157886BW was manufactured on 30th October 1961. Despatched to the St Helier Garage on Jersey a little over two weeks later, the MKII returned to the mainland during 1964 (hence its later 'DPF 277B' registration plate). Finished in Old English White with red leather upholstery, the saloon is variously described by the vendor as being in "good" (chassis, electrical equipment, wheels / tyres) or "very good" (3.4 litre engine, automatic transmission, interior trim, bodywork, paintwork) condition. The subject of a Jaguar Driver's Club valuation some seven and a half years ago, chassis 157886BW was judged at the time to be in "superb restored order". The inspector also noted that the car had undergone a cylinder head replacement so as to permit the use of unleaded fuel. While, its conversion to negative earth electrics had facilitated the installation of a CD stereo and alarm system. Riding on steel wheels, this nicely presented Jaguar is offered for sale with the aforementioned documentation and MOT certificate valid until September 2008.