Although, instantly recognisable as a T-series model thanks to its perpendicular radiator shell, flowing wings and rear-mounted spare wheel, the TD broke important new ground for the Abingdon marque. The first MG sportscar to feature either independent double-wishbone front suspension or rack and pinion steering, the newcomer also boasted a hypoid-bevel back axle, hidden scuttle reinforcement hoop (save for the first few cars) and twin leading-shoe front brakes. Powered by the proven 1250cc XPAG engine allied to four-speed manual transmission, it was reputedly capable of 82mph and 26mpg. Riding on fifteen-inch steel wheels as standard, the TD also sported a mirror-image dashboard (thus facilitating either LHD or RHD production) and chrome-plated bumpers. A great success story, the vast majority of the 29,665 cars produced between 1949 and 1953 were sold overseas.
Finished in cream with contrasting green upholstery, this particular example is being offered for sale by the Cotswold Motoring Museum. Supplied new to South Africa as a kit so as to minimize import duty, the completed TD was repatriated during 1983. Entering the current ownership shortly thereafter, the two-seater sports car is said to "have remained under cover and been cared for as part of the collection ever since". Not run for many years - though, the engine apparently still turns - the MG will require recommissioning before use. Although, its mechanical / electrical condition is unknown, the car appears to be otherwise sound (albeit a little scruffy in places). Registered with the DVLA as '5398 DG' and coming from a good home, this tempting two-seater has the makings of a worthwhile project.