In 1946, the Mercedes-Benz W154/9 was discovered in Romania and brought over to the UK by Reg Parnell, prior to being sold to the United States for Don Lee to race in the Indy 500. The car was driven at Indy for several years without notable success, interestingly being fitted with a Jaguar engine during this time.
The vendor purchased this complete W154 rolling chassis less engine and bodywork in 1969 as a source of spare parts for his Mercedes W125 (see lot 338) , later being sold to, less brakes and central fuel tank, Bob Roberts of the Midland Motor Museum. The brakes were used on the vendor's W125 and the tank remained with him as it was never collected by the new owner! During restoration W154/9 had a new tank built by Crosthwaite & Gardiner and several years ago this superbly made fuel tank was re-discovered in the vendor's stores. An important & hugely interesting memento from a 1938 Mercedes W154 Grand Prix Racing Car.
The tank features a hole through the centre for the steering column to slide through, inlets to the rear, fabricated mounting brackets & some wear/light corrosion, commensurate with age. Approximately 84cm long x 86cm wide.