Introduced in 1946, the Riley RMA was one of the first British cars launched after WW2 to feature a new chassis design. With independent torsion bar front suspension, rack and pinion steering and strong 80mph performance from its gutsy 'twin-cam' 1496cc, four-cylinder engine the RMA was deservedly praised by the contemporary motoring press for its excellent ride and handling qualities. Its successor, the RME arrived in 1951 featuring a host of mechanical revisions. An open propshaft now linked the four speed manual gearbox to a new hypoid bevel rear axle, while stopping power improved courtesy of Girling hydraulic brakes and the enlarged rear window gave welcome extra visibility.
Finished in black over silver with maroon leatherette upholstery, this particular example is described by the vendor as being in "very good" condition with regard to its engine, four-speed manual gearbox, electrical equipment, interior trim, chassis, bodywork, paintwork and wheels / tyres. Since entering the last ownership in March 1989, 'RLG 726' has reportedly been treated to a bare metal respray (together with the fitting of a new vinyl roof, rain channels, window seals), complete re-trim (including carpets, headlining, door panels, seating, re-polished woodwork), new clutch, brake system overhaul, fresh tyres and re-plated or replacement chromework (bumpers, door handles, accent strips etc). Though, its engine, gearbox and back axle were apparently found to be in "excellent condition". Said to "look superb" and be a "real pleasure to drive", this "pampered" Riley is offered for sale with "original starting handle, wheel brace, history file, registration number valuation at £1,500" and MOT certificate valid until June 2008.