The well known Nottingham bicycle manufacturer entered the motorcycle market in 1901 with motorcycle production continuing in a sporadic fashion throughout the pioneer period. During 1920 the company commenced the manufacture of a new in line flat twin, which they followed in 1922 with a range of single cylinder side valve models featuring either two or three speed gearboxes and belt or chain final drive. The new machines quickly established an enviable reputation for their reliability enhanced in 1924 by Hugh Gibson's successful circuit of the British coast on a combination and Majorie Cottle's reverse circuit of the same route on a solo. Production continued until 1933 when the company ceased motorcycle production to concentrate on their pedal powered products.
This example of the 246cc side valve Model 14 dates from 1926. Equipped with a three speed gearbox and chain final drive it was purchased as a basket case by the vendor in 1987 who undertook its rebuild. The engine, gearbox and magneto were rebuilt as were the hubs, wheels and other cycle parts. The seat was recovered in leather and a new Dunlop Cord tyre was fitted to the rear wheel. New reverse levers were purchased. The frame, forks mudguards and other cycle parts were sandblasted and painted black and a period carbide lighting set was fitted. After completion in 1988 the bike, although a runner, has stood as a centre piece in the reception of an engineering works. It is offered with a buff logbook dating from 1945 and an old Swansea V5.