Introduced in 1932 Norton's ES2 had firmly established its credentials in pre-war years. The vertical single cylinder engine shared the same 79 x100mm engine dimensions first used by James Lansdowne Norton as early as 1911. Although considered the workhorse of the Norton range the model would cruise at 70mph and had a top speed approaching 80mph, A former ES2 rider described the model in the following terms " It has all the attributes for serious long distance touring-light enough to be easily manhandled, with performance enough to avoid boredom or frustration, comfort, good road holding, quiet mechanically, straightforward to maintain, good petrol consumption and utter reliability".
This 1948 example, enjoying the benefit of Norton "Roadholder" forks was first registered in Cumbria and originally ridden with a sidecar. Winner of no less than nine Concours d'Elegance awards, the bike has been restored to show standards, the work including an engine rebuild with new bearings, piston and valves and new chain. The frame, mudguards, tool box, oil tank and chain case were all bead blasted and powder coated. The chrome work including tank was re-plated and new wheel rims and spokes were fitted along with new tyres. It has been used as a show bike since restoration but is offered with a Swansea registration document and old style log book.