Motobecane had commenced production during 1922 and by the end of the twenties were offering a range of machines. The smaller capacity models were all two strokes with capacities ranging from 99cc to 308cc, whilst the larger capacity models utilised side valve single cylinder engines up to 498cc. At the beginning of the thirties the existing models were joined by a pair of over head cam, in line fours, however, it was machines such as the one offered that ensured the company made a profit.
The MB1 had originally been offered with direct drive, but by the time that this example was built a two speed, hand change gearbox had become available. Displacing 175cc, drive is taken from the gearbox to the rear wheel with a belt and simple girder forks are fitted. Listed as the "Modele Pour Homme" it was complimented by a ladies model with a drop tube frame, listed as "Modele Ecclesiastique", we can only speculate as to what the marketing people were suggesting about the French clergy of the time!
Attractively presented with black cycle parts and blue fuel tank the machine is fitted with footboards and a wicker rear basket. It was found in a French barn and restored some time ago it is described by the vendor as being in good condition cosmetically and in respect of the cycle parts.