Conceived by Car Neracher in an attempt to address the perceived need for an "every-mans" motorcycle the radical Ner-a-Car entered production at the Syracuse, New York factory during 1920. Clearly influenced by contemporary automotive design the new motorcycle was powered by a 211cc two stroke single cylinder engine, which utilised friction drive. The drive-train was mounted in a very low position between two side rails which at the front carried a pair of sprung and pivoted arms and at the rear formed the forks for the rear wheel. Steering was facilitated by a hub centre system, which according to proponents of the design endowed the machine with exceptional handling and stability, although rumours to the contrary persist. The majority of the engine and transmission were covered with steel panels, only the cylinder and head being visible, which combined with an extensive front mudguard to help keep the rider clean. A sprung saddle mounted in line with the top of the rear wheel and foot-boards contributed further to rider comfort.
Production continued at the Syracuse plant until 1923 and was then taken up by Sheffield Simplex in the United Kingdom until 1927. British built examples continued to use the two stroke engine, although a four stroke unit was later offered and achieved a degree of success, appealing particularly to professional women in rural areas such as midwives and the clergy.
This early example is believed to be an American built machine and is fitted with the 221cc two-stroke power-plant. An older restoration, it is attractively presented with a green livery and was until recently housed in an Austrian museum.