AJS started off in the motor manufacturing Midlands, where the first A J Stevens was built in 1909. By 1910, the Stevens Bros were making one of the first British overhead valve engined machines of 348cc capacity. A 498cc OHV, again a single cylinder engine, in an AJS 500 was offered to the motorcycle buying public from 1925. However, thanks to the Great Depression of the 1930s, the Stevens Bros had to sell out in 1931 to the Collier Bros, maker of Matchless bikes in Plumstead, London, to where AJS production transferred. This was how Matchless and AJS merged. Much later, the AJS Porcupine 500 twin (winner of the first ever World Championship in 1949 with Les Graham riding) and 7R 350, and Matchless G50 500 racers were to excel in racing. Latterly, AJS became a brand of the Associate Motor Cycles Group.
According to the vendor of the 1957-manufactured 16M 350 machine being auctioned here, which is presented in traditional AJS black, this is a lovely bike which runs well and has seen little use.