Struggling to re-adjust to civilian production post WW1, Maxwell was heading for bankruptcy until May 1921 when Walter P. Chrysler took an interest. With advertising that promoted the 'Good Maxwell' plus the influx of engineers Fred Zeder, Owen Skelton and Carl Breer, the marque's sales soon picked up. However, Walter P's motives revealed themselves to be less than pure when he dissolved the Maxwell name into the newly formed Chrysler Corporation during June 1925. A final hurrah, the Model 25-C was introduced in September 1924. Based around a robust ladder-frame chassis equipped with leaf-sprung suspension, improved steering and balloon tyres, it was powered by a reworked 185.8ci (3-litre) 38hp four-cylinder engine allied to three-speed manual transmission. Available in a variety of open and closed guises, the short-lived Model 25-C was reincarnated as the Chrysler F58-4.
Finished in blue over black with grey upholstery, this particular right-hand drive example is variously described by the vendor as being in "good" (engine, gearbox, electrical equipment, wheels / tyres) or "excellent" (interior trim, chassis, bodywork, paintwork) condition. A handsome and commodious five-seater touring car that was exported new to Australia, the Maxwell is felt to be ideal for "family outings or wedding hire". Sporting flashing indicators, branded kickplates, drum headlights, sidescreens and a wood-rimmed steering wheel it was reportedly the subject of "an extensive $45,000 (AUS) professional restoration". However, the seller notes that "The car is not registered in the UK and a new owner will have to work with the DVLA so that an age-related number plate can be issued. All import duties and charges have been cleared to bring the vehicle into the EC".